The Hotel Heiligenstadter Hof looks back on a long and lively history. The property is mentioned as early as 1529 as a fief of the von Streitbergs. The building burned down in 1731. Today's half-timbered house dates back to the 18th century.
Perhaps the oldest photo document of our house, dating from 1916, shows the former Georg Zolleiß brewery and inn. At that time, the building was plastered so that the half-timbered façade was not visible.
This photo was taken before 1920.On the left you can see the former Gasthof Hösch (later Gasthof Fay) which was demolished in 1999. Today, our fitness studio Fit am Fluss stands on this site. On the right, the Zolleiß brewery inn (now our hotel) looms into the picture.
This is what our house looked like between 1925 and 1930. On January 9, 1932, the "Wiesentbote" reported that the owner Heinrich Zolleiß had died of a heart attack the day before.Presumably caused by the impending auction of the property.
The inn was subsequently taken over by the Fürst family. The photo shows the building with exposed half-timbering in 1936.
In 1954 the roof was renewed and a long dormer windowdormer window. Further conversion work followed.
In July 1965, the Fürst Inn received a distinguished visitor. The governing mayor of Berlin, Willy Brandt, was visiting Heiligenstadt. Accompanied by Karl Herold, member of the Bundestag, they had lunch at the inn.
In 1986, the property was again put up for auction. July 18, 1987 brought another dramatic event. A fire in the roof truss destroyed large parts of the property.
The "fire ruins" were finally bought by the Heiligenstadt market in 1988. The hall extension, which had been damaged by the fire, was subsequently demolished in 1990.
At the end of 1990, work began on the new extension and the old half-timbered house was extensively renovated. In October 1991, the Harrer family was able to reopen the house under the name "Heiligenstadter Hof".
After the owner Johannes Harrer passed away unexpectedly in 2019 at the age of just 48, the property was taken over by the Alp family, who have been running the Heiligenstadter Hof ever since.